A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE: BRIDGES TO THE PAST
Published in "THIS WEEK/COURIER-SUN" Part 1, Wednesday, June 30, 1976; Part
2, Wednesday, July 14, 1976; and, Part 3, August 4, 1976.
To all that will be receiving this article I would like to take this
opportunity to introduce myself to you. My name is Rose (Bridges-Kreitman)
Clark, b 1931 in Madison (Madison County) Nebraska. A number of years back I
had asked my Aunt De Loris (Bridges) McGee about our Bridges family and from
her I received the copy of this article that contained 3 parts of the
following information on "Bridges to the Past". I am sorry to tell you that
I do not know if any of the authors are still living today as this article as
you can see is over 23 years old and do not know what city in NC this
newspaper was published in. My intent on passing this article on to you is
the hope that if anyone is looking for one little piece of information that
might assist in a link I would be glad I had made this effort.
We appreciate your help, Rose. Thank you.
Posted October 25th, 1999
BRIDGES TO THE PAST
The following article published in three parts is the result of the efforts
spent the past several years by Mr. Mills Y. Bridges 109 Mary Street Carrboro
NC 27510 who was assisted by Mrs. Hedy Newton, Mrs Mildred Gee and others on
his BRIDGES AND HAMRICK FAMILIES. Mr. Mills Y. Bridges wants to remind you
that this summary should not be considered as complete in all details and is
only an outline of his conclusions based on information presently available.
The past several weeks have been spent writing about the Green Family in
early Rutherford and Cleveland counties and we have stated that this was one
of the most difficult families to research. However, the Green family is not
unique in its research problems, and many other old families can be almost as
frustrating. Amoung these other families requiring much patience and hard
work are the BRIDGES and HAMRICK families.
Some of the problems or research on these two families is the result of
published, and traditional information which was incorrect, or at its best,
partially incorrect. That, plus the fact that the Bridges' were nearly as
numerous as the Green's in this section of the country places this family in
a class with the Green's, Jones', Davis', Smith's, etc. in its degree of
difficulty to trace.
PART 1 - BRIDGES FAMILY
The story of the Rutherford County BRIDGES families begins with the Prince
William County, VA. will of William Bridges dated Dec. 31, 1743, and proven
April 23, 1744.
His son, William Bridges, received two-thirds of the estate and his daughter,
Mary Bridges received one-third. His wife was not mentioned. The executors
named were his
friends, William Roe and Charles Kil, who were to keep his children under
their custody for four years. This appears to indicate his son William was
the oldest son but would not reach his legal age for four years indicating
William was born about 1726. Although the wife of William was living at the
time William made his will, he gave all of his estate to his children.
Witnesses to the will were Andrew Savage, Rose Veale (female) and John Lloyd.
William Wroe, John Grant and Richard Foote signed the bond for William Wroe
to serve as executor.
The will of William Bridges does not name all of his sons but later records
show there were at least six sons, and to avoid confusion due to repetition
of first names, they will be referred to as the six (6) "brothers": William,
Thomas, Benjamin, Joseph, James and John. The Richard Bridges who appeared in
the Prince William County records in 1754 was probably also a son of William.
The brothers apparently were born about 1720-1740. In 1769, John Bridges was
the executor of one Elizabeth Bridges English with James Bridges as security.
A list of tithables dated 1747 for Prince William County, shows James Bridges
counted with Isaac Reves and listed beside five Hamricks: Patrick Hamrick
Sr.; Patrick Hamrick Jr.; Robert Hamrick; Benjamin Hamrick; and, James
Hamrick, with Benjamin Bridges being listed with John Graham at Cedar Run.
The lists shows 112 acres for Benjamin Bridges in 1752 and 1777.
A tax list of 1783 for Prince William County shows Benjamin Bridges and five
Ham(b)rick families: Patrick, Benjamin, James, Isaac and Scirs (or Seirs).
There are records of BRIDGES in the parent counties of Prince William County,
but there is no connection of the BRIDGES in that county with those BRIDGES
in any earlier county.
Prince William County was formed in 1731 from Stafford and King George
Counties, with Stafford County being formed in 1664 from Westmoreland County
(1653) and King George County being formed in 1721 from Richmond County
(1692). Faquier County (1759) and Fairfax (1742) were formed from Prince
William County with Loudoun County (1757) being formed from Fairfax County.
There are records of an Anthony Bridges in Westmoreland, Stafford and
Rappahannock Counties during the 1660's and 1670's.
In 1690 Westmoreland County, William Bridges and wife, Elizabeth (?),
received a land grant of 700 acres. In 1723 in Westmoreland, an inventory was
taken by one William Bridges (administrator) of the estate of another William
Bridges (deceased). The
published marriages of Richmond County report the marriage of Elizabeth
Medcalf (widow of Samuel Baley d. 1727) to William Bridges of Westmoreland County
prior to 1741; and the marriage of William Jacobs to Mary Bridges (spinster)
in 1753. In 1746 in Westmoreland County an inventory was taken by Peter Rust,
executor of the estate of John Bridges.
In 1724 in King George County, Ann Bridges presented the will of William
Bridges and took oath as executor with the will being proven by Francis
Payne, John Payne and Robert English.
On January 7, 1724 a Northern Neck grant was issued to Roger Day of Stafford
County for 760 acres of land in that county on the north side of Broad Run of
Occaquan River adjoining Edward Grayham. A note on this grant shows that
Roger Day died without paying for this land and this same land was granted on
Aug. 17, 1725 to Henry McDonnac who intermarried with Roger Day's widow. A
note on the grant to McDonnac shows his wife's name was Elizabeth, and
McDonnoc is to convey to his wife's daughter, Elizabeth Day, 260 acres of
this land, Roger Day's will is indexed in Stafford County Will Book K
1721-1730, page 169; however, the early Stafford County wills no longer exist.
On Sept. 17, 1726, Patrick and Margaret (?)(wife) Hamrick of King George
County, and Robert and Sarah (?) (wife) Inglesh (? Or Ingles) of Stafford
County, sold to Samuel Skinker of King George County, 100 acres in Stafford
County, which had been sold by Lem Cox (?) to Robert Inglesh on Oct. 20,
In 1734 Samuel Skinker of Hanover Parish, leased land to Patrick and Margaret
(?) (wife) Hamrick, planter, of Brunswick Parish, both of King George county
for the consideration of "divers good causes."
A witness to this lease was Jos. Strother. The detailed will of Samuel
Skinker was proven in 1752 in King George County, but does not indicate any
family relationship with the Hamricks. In 1753, the executors of Samuel
Skinker sued William Bridges for a debt. In 1754 and 1755 Anthony Strother
sued Richard Bridges and Thomas Bridges for debts.
In 1739, Robert English, aged about 37, of King George County, Thomas Hart,
aged about 50, of Prince William County, and Edward Graham, aged about 60, of
William County, gave depositions to John Mercer, attorney for Patrick
Hamrick, which were admitted to record on March 7, 1739. These three men
stated they were well acquainted with Roger Day and they often heard him
acknowledge Patrick Hamrick to be his cousin as they were children of brother
and sister, and were shipmates and that Roger Day would give Patrick Hamrick
land for his lifetime and assist him in building, he having no other relation
in this country.
On January 10, 1739, Patrick Hamrick of King George County was issued a
warrant for a survey of 100 acres in Prince William County between the lands
of Thomas Eaves, Wm. Davis, Richard Melton, Edward Graham, and land formerly
Roger Day's, now claimed by Patrick Hamrick as his heir. This land was
surveyed as 118 acres near the head of Winter's middle branch and near
Croupers (Cuppers) Cabbin Branch near a branch of Buckhall, and adjoining
George Eaves and Thomas Davis. Chain carriers were Charles and James Graham.
A Northern Neck grant was issued to Patrick Hamrick dated Dec. 10, 1740.
Patrick Hamrick left a will in 1764 in Prince William County with Patrick
Hamrick, Jr., as executor and James Bridges as security. The records of the
same county show Robert Hamrick d 1757 (widow, Elizabeth (?)) and John
Hamrick d (widow, Sarah (?)). It is suspected both John and Robert were sons
of Patrick Hamrick Sr.
The index to deeds in Prince William County has the following Hamricks:
Patrick, Isaac, Joseph, Samuel and Jeremiah, ... records show Alex . Davidson
and Bushrod ? ?..gett were present in ? county and were later ...?
Rutherford County NC.
Some of the Hamricks remained in Virginia: ? moved through Wilkes County NC
on their way to W ? County GA; and some ? with the Bridges to Rutherford
County NC. The following Hamricks were listed in the 1790 Census ? Rutherford
County: J (?) Jeremiah, Samuel, ?, Enoch, Henry and Nath: The following
Hamricks appeared in the records in Wilkes County NC: Thomas, Robert, Patrick
The exact location of the Bridges' residence in Prince William County has not
been determined, but it must have been near the Hamricks which were located
near the present town of Manassas.
It is believed brother Benjamin Bridges remained in Virginia and did not
migrate to NC with his brothers. It is known that he had at least one
daughter, Nance Bridges, to whom he gave land in 1766. A deed in 1768 appears
to indicate that Benjamin Bridges had ma..ried Seybe, who had been given land
by her father (Thomas Whitledge) in his will.
Five of the six brothers moved to North Carolina during the middle 1760's to
the area between Deep Creek of Flat River, Maho (Mayo) Creek, Cub Creek of
Ta(?) River, Aaron's Creek and Grassy Creek; generally, the present eastern
Person County (brothers John and William), and middle-northwestern Granville
County (brothers Thomas and James): which at that time was Orange County and
Granville County. Samuel Hamrick purchased land on Cub Creek which he sold in
1772. Samuel was listed on a 177(?) Granville County Tax List.
Brother James Bridges was issued a Granville land grant on Oct. 13, 1761 for
34 or (34?) acres on Cub Creek of Ta(?) River in Orange County which had been
surveyed on April 14, 1761 with John Bridges as chain bearer in Orange County
Deed Book (?) pages 210-211 recorded (?) deed for 200 acres between Mayo
Creek and Buc(?) Mountain Creek sold June 29, 1769 by John Tomson to John
Bridges of Prince William County, VA.
It is important to note for purposes of separation, that in southeast
Granville County and present Warren County, there were several earlier
"Bridger" and "Bridgers" families. The location of the deeds and names of
associated families help separate these from the Bridges families from Prince
William County VA.
PART 2 OF ARTICLE "BRIDGES TO THE PAST"
In 1771, the following BRIDGES' signed a petition in Orange County, NC
requesting the formation of a new (Caswell) County; William Sr.; William Jr.;
John; Moses; Aaron; and, apparently a second John. Also signing this petition
were Alexander Davidson, James Saterfield, John Tabor, and others who later
appeared in Rutherford County. Caswell County was formed from Orange County
in 1777 and Person County was formed from Caswell County in 1791. Moses
Bridges, Samuel Hamrick and Enoch Hamrick appear on a 1777 Caswell County Tax
list and are not listed in 1780. Henry Hamrick was listed in 1780.
Some of the Bridges brothers apparently married earlier before leaving
Virginia with the exception of brothers James Bridges and Thomas Bridges..
Brother James Bridges married Lydia Lashley about 1764 (widow of Patrick
Lashley) and brother Thomas Bridges married Ann Lashley on August 10, 1772
(daughter of Patrick and Lydia Lashley) in Granville County NC. Patrick
Lashley's will was proven in 1759 and in 1764 James Bridges was appointed
guardian of Patrick's daughter, Ann Lashley.
The five Bridges brothers and their families moved westward across NC during
the 1770's. Brother James had purchased land in Mecklenburg County in 1765 on
both sides of Thicketty Creek, on the south side of Broad River, and in 1767
received a state grant on Bullocks Creek of Thicketty Creek (actually this
land was located later in York County SC). Brothers James, Thomas and John
settled on Buffalo Creek in York County SC. Brother William settled on Shoal
Creek of First Broad River. Brother Joseph lived on Shoal Creek (with his
son, Benjamin) and then moved to Greenville County SC and settled on Reedy
River near the foot of Paris Mountain.
It appears the five brothers and their families were initially associated
with Buffalo Baptist Church with some of brother William's family later
attending Sandy Run Baptist Chruch. Brother Joseph's son, Benjamin, was
associated in 1799 with the Head of Enoree Baptist Church (now Reedy River
All children of brother James Bridges are known, and include:
Richard James, b 1774 d July 11, 18l6
Susanna (married James Elmore)
Brother James is listed in the 1790 York County census as "Saml." (which
should be read as "Jams.") Brigs. Lydia Bridges (widow) was appointed
administrator of the estate of brother James on Feb 6, 1792 in York County SC.
Lydia died about 1804. Brother James was a deacon at Buffalo Baptist Church
and served as a spy on the Indian expedition in 1779 and as "Captain of
Horse" in 1780-1781 during the Revolutionary War.
Richard (son of brother James) was shown in an 1802 deed to be a resident of
Georgia and in an 1803 deed to be a resident of Spartanburg Dis., SC. In
1809 William Camp gave two and one-fifth acres of land to the deacons of the
Church of Christ at Buffaloe in York District "whereon Buffaloe Meeting House
now stands" near the spring, with James Bridges (son of brother James) and
Peter Quin as witnesses. This James died in 1816 and is buried at Buffalo
Brother Thomas Bridges did not have any children. York County SC deed book A,
pages 207-209 recorded in 1787 a deed from Abraham and Elizabeth Kuykendall
(wife) of Tryon County NC to Thomas Bridges of Granville County NC dated Aug
4, 1771 for 332 acres on both sides of Buffalo Creek in Camden District, with brother
James Bridges as a witness to this deed. This land was later in York County
and now is in present Cherokee County, probably near Buffalo Baptist Church.
Brother Thomas left a will dated July 28, 1781 and probated Jan 29, 1782 in
Camden District (town of Camden later became the seat of Kershaw County) in
which he gave his wife Ann, one-third of his property and loaned her the
other two-thirds during her life time after which it was to be distributed
equally among his brothers which he named: William; John; James; Benjamin;
and, Joseph. Mentioned in this will was James Saterfield.
Brother Thomas directed his executors (wife, Ann Bridges; and, Joseph Camp,
minister) to care for his mother out of his estate as she is old, but it does
not mention her name.
The estate papers of brother Thomas Bridges contain receipts dated February,
1782 from his five brothers for their share of his estate. The receipt for
brother Benjamin has a note on it, "Not to be recorded," probably indicating
brother Benjamin did not sign it himself because he had remained in Virginia.
Ann, (widow of brother Thomas) married Vierdham (?) Green sometime prior to
May 15, 1799, at which time Ann (Bridges) Green witnessed a deed from her
mother Lydia (Lashley) Bridges to James Bridges (son of brother James and
Lydia (Lashley) Bridges), it appears that Ann (Lashley) died just prior to
1804 without any heirs.
The known children of brother John Bridges include two sons and possibly a
William and possibly
Edmond d prior to 1800 m Abigail (?) (appears in the 1800 census b prior to
Brother John is listed in the 1790 census of York County as John Brigs. It is
believed brother John was listed in the 1800 census as an elder member of his
son William's household.
The known children of brother Joseph Bridges include three sons:
Benjamin b about 1750-55 d 1824 in Greenville County SC
These are listed in the 1790 Greenville County census as is brother Joseph.
Brother Joseph .......was alive in 1799 in Greenville County when he sold his
land, including the place where he was living, to John McClanehan. Brother
Joseph and his two sons, Thomas and William, were not found in the 1800
census. Brother Joseph's son Benjamin was born about 1750-55 and died 1824 in
Greenville County SC leaving a large family.
PART 3 OF 3 PARTS OF THE ARTICLE "BRIDGES TO THE PAST"
It is believed that brother William Bridges was born about 1726. The name of
his wife is not known, but apparently they were married about 1745 in
Virginia and their children were born about 1745-65. In 1804, when brother
William's sons, Aaron and Moses, transferred their church membership from
Buffalo to Sandy Run an unidentified Catherine Bridges accompanied them.
Brother William lived on 132 acres near the mouth of First Broad River in
Rutherford County (now Cleveland).
On Jan 11, 1802 letters of administration were issued to Thomas Bridges on
the estate of William Bridges, deceased, and Thomas entered into bond with
Isaac Bridges. On January 14, 1802, Thomas returned an inventory and on April
16, 1802, William Bridges, administrator, also returned an inventory. Brother
William was the father of at least seven sons, listed below in the probable
order of their birth:
John b about 1745 d about 1796-1800 m about 1765 to Elizabeth (?)
Moses b about 1745-50 d about 1818 m about 1818 to Sarah (?)
Aaron b about 1745-50 d about 1818 m about 1818 to Sarah (?) (Note: Moses
info the same (could have been a proofreader error maybe ! !)
William b about 1750-55
James b about 1755-60 (living in 1834) m about 1784
Thomas b about 1755-60 m about 1782 to Elizabeth (?)
Isaac b about 1764 d about 1851-59 m 1784 to Mary (?)
John lived on Shoal Creek and was the father of the following children:
John, Jr,; Elizabeth (who married Jacob Arner); Amelia; George; Rachel; and,
possibly five (5) other sons according to the 1790 census. Included among his
heirs were Joseph Collins and William Davidson.
Moses lived on Poplar Branch and Beaverdam Creek and east of Sandy Run Creek
and was the father of the following children:
James b 1771 and still living in 1850 and married Dicey Harrill. (James and
Dicey appear to be the parents of the following children: Moses (who married
Elizabeth Yarborough); Gilbert (who married Mahala Havener); and, Housan
Samuel "Mad Sam." B 1774 d 1840;
John "Camp Creek" b about 1782 d 1848 m Fanny Jones;
Moses, Jr., b about 1776-94 (still living in 1820);
And, probably Aarnon b 1784 d 1852 m Sarah Hamrick.
Aaron owned land from Poplar Branch of Beaverdam Creek westward across both
sides of Sandy Run Creek. Aaron's sons lived just west of Sandy Run Creek
and included the following sons:
James b about 1775 and d about 1844 (James was the father of Wiley, Anderson
John "Grog Creek" b about 1778 d 1842 (was an ancestor of the writer of
"Bridges to the Past");
William b about 1786 (and still living in 1850 and was the father of Ezekiel);
Samuel b about 1787 (and still living in 1860 and was the father of
Ephraim b about 1780-90 (still living in 1830 in Franklin County TN); and
probably, Aaron b 1789 d 1887 m Margaret Holland.
William (who was born about 1750-55). This birth date is calculated from the
signature of William Bridges, Jr., on the 1771 Orange County petition.
William, Jr. appears in the Rutherford County deeds and in the 1802
settlement of his father's estate. The Sandy Run Baptist Church minutes
report one William married Ann (?) prior to 1802. One William married
Catherine Blanton (daughter of George) probably prior to 1800 and was shown
in the 1830 and 1840 census with a birth date of about 1760-70. The family of
William Jr. has not yet been determined.
James lived on Shoal Creek and was the father of the following children:
Richard b 1790 d 1868; George b 1796 d after 1880; Burwell B(lanton) Bridges
b about 1800 d about 1848; and, Asa b about 1804 d about 1854.
Thomas: The Sandy Run Baptist Church minutes report about 1805 that Thomas
Bridges moved out of the county and over the mountains.
Isaac was probably the youngest son and about 1818 he moved to Franklin
County TN with all his children and several other Bridges families.
Descendants of James Bridges
Back to Myrtle's Genealogy Page
Part Two - Bridges Family
Back to Newspaper Abstracts