HISTORY OF PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, UNION SPRINGS, ALABAMA 1853 - 1978
Submitted by Evelyn Leslie and posted July 27, 2002 by
The Organization and the Charter Members
On July 23, 1853, a Committee appointed by the Presbytery of East Alabama met at Union Springs for the
purpose of organizing a Presbyterian Church. This committee was composed of REV. T. ROOT, REV. C. L. R.
BOYD, and A. McMILLAN.
These men with a group of other persons interested in organizing a Presbyterian Church, met at the
Female Academy. Rev. Root acted as chairman, and a church was organized with an enrollment of 19
The following persons presented certificates of membership and dismissal from other churches which
were found to be in due form and duly certified:
John Leslie and his wife, Mrs. Jane Leslie
William H. Waugh and his wife, Mrs. Mathilda T. Waugh
Miss Elvira K. Waugh
Norman C. McLeod
Mrs. Catherine McLeod
Mrs. Virginia Foster
Mrs. Nancy McCaskill
A. R. McDonald
J. C. McSween
Mrs. Mary McDonald
Mrs. Mary B. Pearce
H. H. Smith
The following persons were received upon examination:
W. B. McKimmins and his wife, Mrs. A. S. McKimmins
Hon. E. A. Pearce and his wife, Mrs. E. A. Pearce
W. K. Briers
Most of those presenting letters came from the Bethel Presbyterian Church located ten miles south
of Union Springs -- a church which may well be called the mother church of Presbyterianism in Bullock County.
In the records we find that after this organization meeting, they adjourned to meet in the Baptist Church
the following morning, July 24th, at 11 o'clock. At that hour a sermon was preached and the persons above
named were solemnly set apart by prayer, and constituted a district Presbyterian Church to be called "The
Union Springs Presbyterian Church." The Church so constituted and organized then proceeded to elect A. R.
McDonald and Wm. K. Briers to the office of Ruling Elder and E. A. Pearce and John Leslie to the office of
Deacon. These men were then ordained and installed in the respective offices in due form. The service
closed with the celebration of the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper. The Fall Minutes of the Presbytery
of East Alabama, 1853, contains this record:
"The Committee appointed to organize a Presbyterian Church at Union Springs, Alabama, made their report
to the Presbytery of East Alabama in Session at Wetumpka, October, 1853, which was received and adopted,
and is as follows:
"Your Committee would respectfully report to Presbytery that they met at Union Springs by previous appointment
on July 23 and on July 24, 1853, and proceeded to organize by solemn consecration to God and prayer a
Presbyterian Church at that place, to be called the Presbyterian Church of Union Springs, consisting of
27 members, two Elders and two Deacons. Your committee would recommend that the name of this chuch be
enrolled upon the Minutes and the Church received under the care of the Presbytery."
This report was signed by Rev. T. Root, Rev. C. L. R. Boyd, and A. McMillan.
Back to McDonald
Read about Hugh A. McDonald, a Grandson of Angus
Back to Myrtle's Genealogy Page